We understand that before receiving treatment, you may have many questions about sedation dentistry. Here are some of the most common questions and answers about sedation dentistry.
Will I feel anything during my treatment?
In most cases, patients do not feel anything. There is very little discomfort, and at the end of the appointment many patients feel relaxed and comfortable with almost no memory of the treatment.
Is sedation dentistry the same as being unconscious?
No. You will still be conscious and responsive, just in a comfortable state of relaxation.
Is sedation dentistry safe?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way for many patients to receive dental treatment. Before starting your treatment, Drs. Dennis and Marie Stiles will take time talking with you and together you'll decide which sedation option is right for your needs.
How long will it take for the sedation to wear off?
The time it takes for the sedatives to wear off depends on the dose you've received, how long your treatment is, and how quick your own body can recover. Since being under sedation causes drowsiness, it is necessary that you have a family member or friend drive you to and from your appointment. After your treatment, you will not want to drive, drink alcohol, or operate machinery.
Am I a good candidate for sedation dentistry?
Any patients who experience dental anxiety are good candidates for sedation dentistry. If you have any of the following fears or concerns, ask Dr. Stiles about sedation dentistry as an option for your next dental treatment:
- Extreme dental anxiety, or fear of visiting the dentist
- Are afraid of needles and/or shots
- Have had a traumatic dental experience in the past
- Can't handle the smells or noises of being at a dentist's office
- Have overly sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, or trouble getting numb
- Require a more complex dental treatment
- Feel self-conscious about your teeth
- Wish to have a more comfortable dental treatment